Why Migration has become so necessary? The answer of this question persists in the fact that websites with better performance, are always in demand. The simple logic for implementing this technique is to upgrade from one platform to another.
The website development may be carried out with the help of different platforms like WordPress, Magento, Joomla, etc. But, in order to obtain the advanced functionality, Drupal Migration is implemented to a great extent. Migration to Drupal takes several factors into consideration such as base of the site like CMS, site driven by database, HTML site, consisting of flat files, etc.
For a newbie, existing website to Drupal migration is quite typical, so the primary requirement is to understand its basic concepts. Drupal is a powerful content management system that is highly capable of developing a wide range of websites ranging from business to education sites. If you are not still aware of amazing features of this open source platform, then it is necessary to know them for its better use. Drupal is highly preferred as a web application framework and converting of older websites based on other sources to Drupal, has become a crucial process. It is not necessary that websites are migrated form one platform to another, even the migration of versions is also performed by experts.
What are the steps involved to Migrate from Drupal version 6 to version 7?
Drupal Migration form version 6 to 7 consists of several crucial steps that must be followed for accomplishing the process of migration in an effective manner. Let’s have a glimpse on all those steps:-
- Database Backup: The first crucial step is to take backup of the website’s database. For this purpose, either use the tool or perform manually. An upgrade or update leads to several changes in the site’s performance.
- Backup files and folders: Once the backup process of site’s database gets complete for performing the Drupal Migration, then move to backup all the files & folders. There are several ways for performing this process, but you would like to use the one that is highly safe. All of them are suggested below, opt carefully to get proper backup.
- All the necessary files may be downloaded to the local computer.
- Copy all the files to directory and store them on server.
- The final option is to use the inbuilt facility of backup available in the control panel.
- Cross check about the process: As it has been already mentioned that Drupal Migration is quite tricky, so cross check the process and ensure that you are capable of completing the upgrade regarding themes as well as custom modules.
- Check out the current & the latest versions: To know the version status, go to Admin Panel, click Reports and then finally click on Status Report.
- Bring the site in off-line mode: In the Administrator Panel, go to Site Configuration and then Site Maintenance. In the Site Maintenance, you will find Site Status (Online/Off-line).
- Download Drupal 7 and extract all the files.
- Apply the changes to robots.txt files or .htaccess file.
- Take the backup of new database.
- Upload the themes.
Drupal Migration from 6 to 7 will be successfully executed if all the above-mentioned steps are followed properly. The Migration of websites to this platform is taking place very rapidly.
Visit our Contact Us page to get in touch with us or request a free quote for our Drupal migration Services.