Being started as a simple blogging tool, Drupal is now recognized as a powerful open-source CMS, which is widely preferred by the website owners and developers across the globe. But, now blogging is just a significant part of what Drupal can do. Drupal is well described as a robust framework that gives an infrastructure for online communities and collaboration. Also, it can be used to run intranets, news portals and other small to corporate websites.
In 2001, Dries Buytaert, a student from University of Antewerp, released an open-source software named Drupal. A number of developers started using it and began contributing to the Drupal project. Drupal is created using various open-source technologies including MySQL, PHP & PostgreSQL databases. Being licensed under GNU, this robust platform can be easily downloaded and used for free.
If you already have a website and you feel that it is not functioning up to the mark or the speed of website has slowed down or facing any other issues with the existing website then, migrating it to Drupal is the best and the most affordable solution. Now, some of you may ask why Drupal, not any other. Here is the solution that satisfies all your doubts.
Why Choose Drupal To Migrate Your Existing Website!
Drupal has all the advanced features that you may expect from a modern CMS like access control, separation of content, user management, presentation & logic, administration and web based editing. Here, you’ll get to know why Drupal migration is vital choice for developing the professional website.
- Powerful taxonomy: The taxonomy method for categorizing the content is one of the most effective features of Drupal that makes it different from rest of the CMS. With the help of Drupal, it is now possible to build a set of descriptive terms as well as associate content with them.
- Developer-friendliness: The consistency of code along with the beautifully designed architecture allows developer to make the desired modifications easily without any hassle. Drupal has an excellent module, level that displays variable & database queries for each page.
- Architecture: Amazingly, the functionality of Drupal CMS is organized into various modules that can be further switched on and off. This allows you to make different websites using Drupal.
- Syndication & Aggregation: Drupal content can be easily syndicated to the websites or readers using RSS feeds. A news aggregator, which is in-built to Drupal, pulls in the syndicated content through RSS feeds.
- Sleek URL: Most of the CMS generates long and complicated URLs that cannot be easily shared over phone or through email. Whereas, Drupal provides the sleekest URLs. Moreover, its URL aliasing feature makes it simple to create the URLs.
Migrating the website to some other platform is not an easy task. It requires in-depth knowledge about both the platforms and vast experience in migration process. However, there are a few things that require special attention while migrating the website to a new platform.
10 Essential Tips For Successful Drupal Migration
- Create an inventory for everything that comprises your website from the entire content to user authentication system.
- Once you have documented the catalog site assets, it is the time to know what it does. Go through your site and note what tasks you can perform on this site and what your expectations are like games, mapping, chat, e-commerce, social networking, etc.
- Now, you need to decide what assets you would like to move and the others will remain in their original repository, which can become a part of some other projects.
- Determine whether it is easier to clean the site assets during the migration process or on the source site or on the target site.
- While implementing functionality on Drupal site, make sure that you are moving data along with their functions.
- Create fresh passwords and learn new procedures to run the site.
- It is wiser to create users on the target website prior to creating content.
- It is not possible to move such a large data at once. So, find an effective way to move the segments of data and keep track of segments that have been moved.
- Prepare a plan for the problems as migration may not go perfectly at the first attempt. Therefore, follow a systematic procedure: notice error, fix it, try again, notice another problem and so on.
- If you still face any issue or have been stuck at any place, then it is recommended to take some professional assistance from reliable company that provides Drupal migration services.
Posted By : PSDtoDrupalDeveloper Team – Hire dedicated Drupal Theme Developer